The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Texas State Wild Bunch Championship

Ready to channel your inner Pike, Dutch or even Lyle or Techtor Gorch?

The Texican Rangers will host the 2021 Texas Wild Bunch State Championships over Labor Day weekend, September 3 - 5, 2021.  We will host this match at the Stieler Ranch, located between Comfort and Fredericksburg, Texas.

Friday will be side matches, including but not limited to BAMM, GAMM, Blazing Saddles, fastest pistol, etc. The main match will consist of 12 stages of WB over Saturday and Sunday.

We will conduct WB matches the 2nd Saturday of every month, and we invite everyone to come enjoy a match with us.  Dry camping is available, and we conduct cowboy church 20 minutes or so before the match.

To further develop interest in Wild Bunch, we will host a Wild Bunch clinic on Saturday, March 13 for anyone interested in trying WB.  It is designed to not only familiarize new shooters in the operations, functions, and quirks of the 1911, but also to build a real knowledge of Wild Bunch competition rules, strategies, and competitive tips to smoothly and successfully transition CAS shooters into another SASS competitive offering.  This course is one hour classroom and the remaining time on the range conducting live fire training drills. Sunday, we will host a 5 stage match to give a little experience in what an actual match entails.

More information to follow, and please check our website (texicanrangers.org) for updates and applications. We would ask the Club POCs get this to their members as time permits.

Please call or write me with any questions 210-310-9090.

We look forward to seeing you!

• 3 months later...

Folks, our planning for the 2021 Texas State Wild Bunch Championship, 3-5 September 2021, is going well.  The application is on our website:  www.texicanrangers.org.

Friday will be the six side matches, including one of our favorites, Blazing Saddles!. Saturday, following the main match stages, we will hold a Wild Bunch four person Team Shoot, with gold buckles for the winning team.  Sunday will have the main match followed by the award ceremony.

I've attached a letter fromm the Match Director, Asup Sleeve as well as the tentative schedule of events. Please call her write me with any questions.  We look forward to seeing you at the historic Stieler Ranch.

Regards,

Burly Bill Brocius

210-310-9090

bexarbillbrocius@gmail.com

2021_WB_Announcement_letter.pdf

SCHEDULE_OF_EVENTS_2021_WB_3.pdf

• 1 month later...

Folks, our Texas State Wild Bunch Championship is shaping up very nicely.  We have a number of manufacturers' donations, shooter prizes, a raffle for a Para-Ordnance Official SASS 1911 (tuned by the late and great Goatneck Clem), and much more planned.  Our side matches will offer something for every WB shooter - BAMM, GAMM, Doughboy, long range rifle, fastest 1911, Blazing Saddles, and a very challenging Team Shoot with the winning team members getting a gold buckle!

We will host a catered chicken fried steak dinner on Saturday night, and it's included in your registration fee. We have a local food vendor who will sell breakfast and lunch on Friday and Saturday, and Sunday morning.  Sunday lunch will be on us!

I've attached a current a Schedule of Events and a picture of the buckles we will be awarding.  If nothing else, take a look at it!

We are limiting the number of entrants to 100 shooters, so get your application in early. As always, contact me with any questions.

Burly Bill Brocius

Assistant Match Director

Burlybillbrocius@gmail.com

210-310-9090

IMG_4014.thumb.jpg.8176daeeb8ee9cd28fbfb58bbfe83e19.jpg

SCHEDULE_OF_EVENTS_2021_WB_Final-2.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Howdy BBB, can you elaborate on the Blazing Saddles event? I'm guessing we'll be riding some kind of steed, but will it require any special guns or equipment?

Also, is the "long range" event just for our main match guns, or will it include all guns (rifle-caliber,single-shot) as described in the Texican Rangers' Long Range Rules?

1.Lever action, revolver caliber

2.Lever action, rifle caliber

3.Single Shot

4.Open Category (may be used at the match director’s option to allow those firearms not covered by other official Long Range Categories).

Thanks,

CND

Folks, attached is the updated message from Asup Sleeve, the Texican Ranger President and Match Director.  We've finalized the side matches and have the main match stages locked in.  Equally important, we have the caterer for Saturday night's chicken fried steak dinner and the food vendor committed.

As always, feel free to contact me with any questions about the Texas State Wild Bunch Championship 2021.

Regards, BBB

2021_WB_Registration_letter_2.doc

C.N. Double,  my understanding of the long range rifle is the BAMM rifle used at extended ranges we call sniper as opposed to combat being in closer. Working on finding out some more details.

Blazing saddles. YEE HAW! You are astride your faithful stead about 3’ above ground he is a 55 gallon drum mounted on casters and saddled. ( I guess it makes him a barrel racer ;D (sorry,couldn’t resist)

With pistol cal lever rifle in hand you’ll engage some targets at about 20-25 yards hand off the rifle and trip a lever, away you go for guts and glory! Drawing your 45 and charging 2 targets with 7 shots on the left RELOAD 2 more on the right with 7 shots. Exciting? DANG STRAIGHT!

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, for those who would like the chance to shoot BAMM (Bolt Action Military Match) or GAMM (Garand Action Military Match) but don't own a 1903A3 or similar bolt action rifle or an M1 Garand, have no fear!

We will have extra rifles and loaded ammo (5 round stripper clips and 8 round en bloc clips) for each for anyone to use during the side matches.  Come on out and give them a try.  The worst that can happen is that you will add a rifle or two to the arsenal.

Regards, BBB

• 3 weeks later...

Tested loads for GAMM  and BAMM this morning.  Closing in on what works best.    Have decided to use my USMC 1903 for the Doughboy side match.  I flip up the rear sight and use the triangle at the bottom.  Makes acquiring the target a lot quicker  than the 03A3.  Will still use the 03A3 for BAMM.

Space is still available so everyone get your applications in!

• 2 weeks later...

Time is running short if you are considering attending.  We started setting up so e of the stages and side matches today.  We have an very fast, 1911-only,  Last Man Standing match planned!

Also, Still a chance to shoot with the Texican Rangers this coming weekend and practice at the site ( if not the exact stages) .  We shoot Wild Bunch on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

For those planning to attend:  Shotgun strings in stages will probably all be 6 rounds (so if your 97 or 12 is set up for 5 rounds in the mag, you might want to switch out the spring and follower.)  Stages will be either four or five  7-round magazines for the 1911 and either 7 or 10 for the lever gun.   

Last man standing  will be shot with two mags, the first with 5 rounds and the second with 7.  Six targets- all to be hit.

• 2 weeks later...