The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

WST Colt 45 Loads?

• 2 weeks later...

Worked up the 45 Colt WST loads and some 45 ACP WST Loads and everything working great. 

Going with 5.8 gn of WST in 45 Colt with 200 gn RNFP out of my 20" 1892 gives me 178 PF and shoots great.

The 45 ACP ended up being 4.0 gn of WST under a 230 gn RN out of my 1911 giving me 166 PF and feels good.

Thanks for the info.  Helped to find some good loads.

• 2 years later...

Worked up the 45 Colt WST loads and some 45 ACP WST Loads and everything working great. 

Going with 5.8 gn of WST in 45 Colt with 200 gn RNFP out of my 20" 1892 gives me 178 PF and shoots great.

The 45 ACP ended up being 4.0 gn of WST under a 230 gn RN out of my 1911 giving me 166 PF and feels good.

Thanks for the info.  Helped to find some good loads.

My 45 Auto load is 3.6 gr of WST. PF about 155. My bullets are 235gr.

Big Boston, 3.6 is cutting it VERY close even with a 235gr bullet. I run 3.8 with a 230 BUT I only use KART match barrels which give a bit hight velocity than any others. I get 160pf with my Labradar.  The problem with running anything under 160 is that the chronos used at various matches vary in accuracy. If you get a chrono reading low and fail PF it is a non-appealable penalty. I strongly recommend you up your charge to 3.8.

Big Boston, 3.6 is cutting it VERY close even with a 235gr bullet. I run 3.8 with a 230 BUT I only use KART match barrels which give a bit hight velocity than any others. I get 160pf with my Labradar.  The problem with running anything under 160 is that the chronos used at various matches vary in accuracy. If you get a chrono reading low and fail PF it is a non-appealable penalty. I strongly recommend you up your charge to 3.8.

Thanks for the heads up on running a PF too close to the min. I did not consider the chrono variable. I believe my 3.6 load is probably very close to your 3.8 gr load. I use a Magma cast bullet, in a Springfield 1911 Mil Spec. I'm using heavy Norinco brass as well. I seat the bullet short(ish) @ 1.22" and my velocities are at least 680 fps. @ 4.0 gr I'm at 735 fps, so I estimate @ 3.8 I'd be at 705 fps for a power factor of 165.

The nice thing with WST, the Es and Sd numbers are good in that zone, so bumping up a bit, not an issue. 4.0 gr seemed to be a sweet spot.

735/740 (Av Vel), 24/22.9 (Es), 10/8.8 (Sd), 5>/5<

dF0Y3EB.jpg

I'm new to the 1911, and noticed that my cases were being ejected a bit sluggish. I installed a 14# spring and preliminary testing (1 mag) seems to indicate that is no longer an issue. For the WB PF of 150, what spring is commonly used? BTW, my first meet will be this Sunday. This will be the CAS last meet of the year, and, as an option, we're allowed to use a 1911 for a CAS scenario. I refer to it as a Wild Cowboy. meet. No Model 12s allowed. I'm new to those as well, and I'd like to shoot a match with it to find out where my technique needs some tuning.

For the WB PF of 150, what spring is commonly used?

Depends on how slick the 1911 is.  My Colt Series 70 with over 120K rounds through it runs 168 PF ammo REAL well with a 15 pound recoil spring and a 19 pound mainspring.

You DO have to be concerned with keeping the mainspring weight in balance with the recoil spring, or you find the slide speed going back (controlled mostly by mainspring) gets out of whack with slide speed going forward (all controlled by recoil spring).  Colt installs at factory a 16# recoil and 23# main, since most factory ammo runs 190 PF or stouter.

Springs are about perfect when fired brass lands 3 to 6 feet away from shooting position.  Neither dribbling out of gun nor thrown 15 feet away is good in the long run. 

If you insist on being able to run factory or higher power loads through the gun at times, for serious purposes, then you probably want to tune for 100% great function with serious work and live with brass not being thrown very far in WB matches.

good luck, GJ

• 4 months later...

I ended up on the Curtrich site, specifically his Wild Bunch for Dummies. He has your load listed as 3.6 grains, the year 2010. I assume some time after that you bumped the charge a wee bit to gain a bit velocity to gain a bit of insurance on the PF. Just shows, stuff does stick around on the internet.

http://www.curtrich.com/WildBunchforDummies_Ch5.html

BB