The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

How close are your loads to minmum power factor?

I am working on my wild bunch loads and was just wondering how close you run to minimum power factor?  Also, if I am ever checked, how many loads will they test?  The way I have been doing it is to shoot ten shots of a load through my chronograph, average the ten loads and then calculate power factor.  Is that the correct way of doing it or do I keep upping the powder until all ten are above power factor? 

They will commonly take 6 rounds, pull one apart to weigh the bullet, then fire 5 and average power factor.  150.0 passes.  149.9 does not.  And a 180 grain bullet passes.  A 179.9 grain does not.

Of course, testing at any given match depends upon the crew performing the work.

I load to 168 PF in 1911 loads.  About 185-190 PF in .45 Colt rifle loads.

good luck, GJ

The reason I am testing is I came across a deal too good to pass up and now have 10k 200 grain round nose bullets.  I am very happy with my 230 grain load but wanted to try these 200's.  I will go with the load that puts my power factor in the 160's.  Thanks GJ! 

HI Gang; When I test PF all loads MUST pass the 150. WHAT IF you happen to get three low shots of ten thousand and there the ones tested? Muffery was a optimist!

All my loads test over 155 PF at the low end using 200 grain lead. Tested at a few match's load is mostly 158 or more, That is close. IF I were to invest a few thousand dollars to go to EOT, the first thing I would do is increase the powder to 160 plus PF. I have test and proven load for any big match just to be sure that I feel may need the extra. Temperature, altitude, weather, screwed up machine, it all needs to be considered.

162 to 165 PF seems to be my magic number.

In the past, for me, they have pulled 10 rounds of each. They will test 5 of each and if you pass you can get the others back. If not, they will come get you and fire the remainder through your firearm. A couple of times I have had a bullet pulled and weighed. Every match is different. You can see the recommendations in the Match Directors Manual on this site.

The most interesting method I encountered was in Texas. You took 100 rounds to the tester. 1 round was randomly selected from the 100, if it was sufficiently high you passed. If not, Dusty Boddoms would pick 4 more and do a complete test.

JFN